The Art of doing Nothing.

I found a very nice website the other day while browsing about some steam cleaner. This website writes about being a simple mom from household tasks to being a Mom and a wife.

She had this article at Simple Mom that really caught my attention. She wrote about productivity and quality down time which go hand in hand. I juggle work and mommy duties everyday, not to mention wifely duties too.

So sometimes when I have a down time or I usually call "me time", I don't know what to do with it anymore! This article is a great reminder to have that "me time" all the time and she even suggested a few things that we can do.

• take a nap

• call an old friend, and just catch up – and don’t do anything else while you’re on the phone

• read an enjoyable book you’ve been meaning to read

• take a bubble bath after the kids are in bed

• watch a movie with your spouse, and don’t work on anything else (this is a tough one for me… I hate just sitting there)

• grab coffee with a girlfriend

• read some blogs

• head to a bookstore-with-coffee-shop and browse just for fun

• cultivate a new craft – learn how to knit or dance for the heck of it

• snuggle on the couch with your spouse and reminisce about when you were dating

• make a cup of tea, sit out on your porch, and just… sit

• go on a leisurely walk, either alone or with your family – and go nowhere in particular


They are very practical and doable too especially for a Mom like me who works from home. I like almost all of her suggestions, especially item number 1. LOL!

She is right when she wrote that we, Moms, need time for ourselves in order to regain energy and prevent burn out. If we don't do this, anything can happen and we don't want to wait for that.

As for her preferring single tasking than multi-tasking, I think she got a point there. Maybe I should try that one of these days.

How about you? Do you know how to do the art of doing nothing?

For the rest of the article, click here.

1 Response to "The Art of doing Nothing."

  1. David says:
    October 20, 2009 7:50 PM

    I liked your post and i totally agree to what you have written.